This past weekend we hosted our Harvest Party in which food is the central theme. All things fall are included. The menu included slow roasted pulled pork, sweet corn cakes, cumin roasted potatoes, butternut squash soup, rosemary garlic white bean salad, green beans w/ mushroom cream sauce, and wheat dinner rolls. Everything was homemade of course.
Friends brought wine and dessert which included apple crisp ala mode, pumpkin pie, and carrot cake.
And since friends were coming in from out of town, we needed to get that spare bedroom in order. I had moved all my sewing items out and was able to thrift sheets and curtains to finish the room. In the mean time, my new sewing room is a disaster! Of course when you move things you rediscover lost and forgotten items. I also spent some time cleaning a dress form my grandmother found me. She mentioned it was broken and in its wobbly state I just put it in a corner where she sat for months. She was only waist high when I got her, but I soon realized she did have all her 'parts' and with a little elbow grease and a can of WD-40 she now stands a tall 5 feet. She's still a bit wonky but she'll do.
Much to my amazement she adjusted to a workable size for me. I'll need to make an adjustment to the bust area, but I think a bit of padding will fix that.
Over the last week, Jeff and I packaged multiple shoe boxes for Samaritans Purse. I was responsible for all the girls. In addition to their manditory items, each girl will receive a sewing kit, a box filled with beads and stretchy thread and I topped each box with a purple felted flower pin (pictured above), mini LED flashlight, an awesome journal, and assorted girlie accessories. Boys got real tools.
Oh, and I finally hung up all my frames I painted black down our long front hallway. I consider it my little art gallery. I know it must have been strange for our friends to enter our home for the Harvest Party and see a series of large empty frames on the wall, but as I collect art work I'll suspend the prints in floating glass frames within each frame. This is the before picture. Not all frames have been painted but I was getting a general feel for how I wanted them to layout. Now if I could get a sunny morning, I'll show you the after photo.
I've been on Etsy stalking a few pieces of art. This and this(I love all the artists titles for his prints!) are on my short list.
In the mean time, my top priority is getting my sewing room in a respectable order.