Wednesday, April 4, 2007

WIP

I recently took a $.25 thrifted zippered pocket purse and tore it apart. I wanted to figure out how it was constructed. The surgery was successful! I adapted what I learned, measured and adjusted to suit my own tastes, and created my very first pattern. Then I experimented with different materials and sewing techniques and finally came up with a pretty nice coin purse. I am beyond proud of myself and can't stop holding the thing. I mean it's my first very creation. And I realize that I didn't create a new wheel here, but I liked the challenge of discovering a new thing and I will gloat in my accomplishment awhile longer. Here is one of the final drafts using cheapo muslin minus a zipper. I wanted to make sure the materials where sturdy enough and I have been keeping it in my back pocket to test how it wears. So far so good.


I also thrifted a very plain old house coat that was home-made a few weeks ago. I had plans of redesigning it into a skirt but flesh tones can be seen through the fabric. What I thought would be an easy alteration will turn into a reconstruction with lining. I don't know if I want to use my brain for that function at this point in time. But I really love the print.


And few years back I was at a estate sale and I bought a box of old sewing supplies. Inside was this embroidered linen skirt and top (which was also home-made) that someone else saved to repurpose. I got the perfect handbag in mind for this beautiful fabric. I just need to find a fabric to line the purse. I'd love something with color. Maybe a lavender, a light blue, or green? Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! You should be proud of your creation. This makes me want to go thrifting to find things to deconstruct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock. I especially love that you are "... keeping it in my back pocket to test how it wears." I can't wait to see your first finished one. I carry around a wallet like that (with one pocket inside, not two) and I love it. It's so much better than a big bulky thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little purse looks great. I admire you for testing it out first with muslin. I really never do that and I should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...I didn't create a new wheel here, but I liked the challenge of discovering a new thing and I will gloat in my accomplishment awhile longer."

    My hat and I sympathize.

    I suggest a dark royal purple lining. It's a good color for white and off white and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go ahead and gloat, that little purse looks so great! And, I too, need to start testing my new ideas with muslin. I'll usually jump head-first into a new project, and end up ruining some fabulous vintage fabric. ugh.

    And for the lining color....you can never go wrong with pink (or gray), in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, deconstructing something is a brilliant idea! Your coin purse looks awesome :) I'm going to keep my eyes open next time out thrifting.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely delight in the fact that you would take the time to comment and continue a dialog on this blog! If you have an email linked to your comment, I do my best to respond. Thank you so much!