Monday, April 9, 2007

Today's History Lesson

Today I decided to wash some old garments I picked up thrifting and tear them apart at the seams so they would be ready for projects at a moments notice.

While I was ripping one garment apart I was intrigued when I found this label-


It states: Int'l Ladies Garment Union Workers with the letters "ILGUW" and "AFLCIO"

I have never seen this kind of label before and I was off to find my laptop to do some research.

I found out that this label was made between 1955-1963. "This label was issued after AFL and CIO merged in 1955, and lasted until June 28, 1963. It is usually printed in blue on white, and features a scalloped circle with a threaded needle diagonally behind it. In the center are the large letters ILGWU, crossed with a smaller AFL-CIO. Around the edge is printed Int'l Ladies Garment Workers Union."

Wikipedia offers this posting on the Ladies Union. Go and have a read if you'd like to learn about 1920's garment making and the politics behind it all.

I thought it was interesting and it was nice to date the fabric.

4 comments:

  1. very interesting. I've done the same with thrifted fabric to try to learn more about its origin.
    I'd love to see the final version of your coin purse. I get so excited, too, when I make my first of something--you saw all my tote bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is cool! Look at your and your thrifty self tearing apart clothes! I agree.. where is the coin purse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is fascinating, definitely keep that label.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a vintage dress with that very label. I'm taking it in to be fitted, but wanted to date it first. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely delight in the fact that you would take the time to comment and continue a dialog on this blog! If you have an email linked to your comment, I do my best to respond. Thank you so much!