Friday, April 20, 2007

Fun with sheets


I finally cut into the stockpile of thrifted sheets that has been piling up. I really don't feel bad if I mess something up when I use them. I mean at $1.00 to $1.50 per pop that's a lot of cheap yardage.


I used these two patterns. The stripey fabric (which was a king size sheet!) I cut on a 45 degree angle to make a saw tooth pattern. I think it turned out neat. I didn't make any premeasurements. I just decided to cut and sew as I go.


It turned out rather large. The front panels are 18''x18'' with a 3 '' gusset made of recycled jean denim. I used the hem of the sheet for the handles. I added two large interior pockets and called it quits. This bag would be perfect for an overnight stay or one fruitful flea market adventure.


I made a skirt for myself out of the stripey fabric too. I used the same saw tooth technique. I used the book "Sew What? Skirts!" for help drafting the pattern. I have discovered that I overestimate roominess. And draw string skirts are not flattering on me. Only zipper a-line skirts for me here on out. But I will still wear it. I had to do some major reconstruction after I tried it on and it was 4 sizes too big for me. But it hasn't been warm enough to wear so I haven't taken any pictures.

Today was a wonderful day and I hope tomorrow follows suit. I spent the day with my parents and sister at the VA Beef Expo. It was fun. I enjoyed the classic ribeye steak sandwich for lunch, but was disappointed when they served it on a hamburger bun. I mean come on? Hamburger bun? Now that's just silliness. I also put a dent in the new book I am reading- "The spirit catches you and you fall down" A Hmong Child. Her American doctors. And the collision of two cultures. By Anne Fadiman

It's turning into a really good book. I might stay up and finish it tonight.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the sawtooth pattern, how creative! And a much better alternative than either vertical or (gasp!) horizontal stripes for your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sawtooth effect that you made with the stripes. how fun and creative. your bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great bag. You can use it as a shopper and never have to use another nasty plastic bag again!!

    Cherry xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it will make a beautiful tote bag. I just found a number of sheets and pillow cases while thrifting. I think I might have a go at a tote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea with the sawtooth pattern LeeAnn. And I love the bag! You just keep getting more and more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've inspired me to dig into my stash of thrifted sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! I love that bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog, and I love it! I can't wait to read more. I love what you did with the striped fabric, it worked out really well. I also want to read the book you are reading. It was highly recommended when I was in nursing school, so we could better understand other cultures, but I was too busy stressing out then to read. Thanks for all of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely delight in the fact that you would take the time to comment and continue a dialog on this blog! If you have an email linked to your comment, I do my best to respond. Thank you so much!